Austrey, a village and a parish picturesquely situated under the watershed that separates Leicestershire from Warwickshire on the E, 4 miles NE of Polesworth station on the L. & N.W.R., 6½ E by N of Tamworth, and 6 N of Atherstone, under which it has a post office; telegraph office, Twycross, 4 miles distant; money order office, Newton Regis. Acreage, 2125; population, 306. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £209. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was built in 1244, and is in the Early English and Decorated styles. It has a tower with a lofty spire, and contains a handsome carved oak reredos. There is a Baptist chapel, a manor house, and an ancient farmhouse of Jacobean date. The ancient name was " Al-destrie," or village near the Alder-meadows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Austrey St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Tamworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Austrey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Austrey (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: