Edlaston, a village and a parish in Derbyshire, 2½ miles S of Ashborne town and railway station. Post town, Ashborne. The hamlet of Wyaston is included in this parish. Acreage, 1379; population, 183. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £183 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Southwell. The church is very old, but the interior has been restored. The churchyard has one of the finest and most symmetrical yew trees in the diocese. There is a small Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Edlaston St. James|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Edlaston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Edlaston (St. James))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Edlaston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: