Edale, a township and a parish in Derbyshire, on the river Noe, 3 miles NW of Castleton, and 7 by road ENE of Chapel-in-le-Frith, with a station on the Dore and Chinley railway, opened in 1894, and a post and money order office under Sheffield; telegraph office, Hope. Acreage, 7043; population about 350, at last census 955, but over 600 of these were navvies engaged in constructing the new line, who have now left. Edale river rises near Edale rocks, and runs along a pastoral valley to the river Noe at Edale End. The '—nanufacture of thread and lace is carried on. The living½s a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £250 and residence. The parish was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Castleton, and the first chapel of ease was erected in 1633; the second was built in 1812. The present, a pretty church with tower and spire, is a modern building in the Early Decorated style, built in 1885-86. There is a small Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chapel-en-le-Frith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Edale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Edale)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Edale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: