Earl Sterndale, Derbyshire
Earl Sterndale, an ecclesiastical parish formed from Hartington parish, Derbyshire, on the river Dove, at the boundary with Staffordshire, 5 miles SSE of Buxton railway station. There is a station at Hindlow in the parish, on the new line of the L. & N.W.R. from Buxton to Ashbourne. The parish contains the hamlet of Crowdycote, and the whole of Hartington Middle Quarter and a part of the Upper Quarter. It has a post office under Buxton; money order and telegraph office, Longnor. Population, 645. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; value, £180 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church, dedicated to St Michael and All Angels, was rebuilt in 1828, -and thoroughly .restored in 1881. The parish is one of the largest in England, being upwards of 30,000 acres in extent.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bakewell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Earl Sterndale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sterndale, Earl)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Earl Sterndale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: