Doveridge or Dovebridge, Derbyshire
Doveridge or Dovebridge, a village, a township, and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands on the river Dove, at the boundary with Staffordshire, adjacent to the North Stafford railway, 1½ mile E by N of Uttoxeter station, has a post and money order office under Derby; telegraph office, Uttoxeter; and was once a market-town. The parish includes also the hamlets of West Broughton, Eaton and Sedsall. Acreage, 4466; population, 735. Doveridge Hall is the property of Lord Waterpark, who is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £475 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church stands on an eminence, and has a tower and spire. There is also a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Doveridge St. Cuthbert|
|Poor Law union||Uttoxeter|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Doveridge or Dovebridge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Doveridge (St. Cuthbert))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: