Dore, a village and a township, forming with Totley a parish in Derbyshire. The township lies 3 miles NW of Dronfield and 5 SW by S of Sheffield, and has a station on the M.R., and a post-office under Sheffield; money order and telegraph office, Totley. Acreage, 3593; population of the-civil parish, 1030; of the ecclesiastical, 1646. Between Dor& and Totley lies the junction of the Dore and Chinley line, by which the distance between Manchester and Sheffield was½ very much shortened, which was completed by the M.R. in 1893 at a cost of £1,250,000. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; value, £110 with residence. Patron, Earl Fitzwilliam. The church was rebuilt in 1828. There-is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: