Pennington (Leigh), Lancashire
Pennington, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Leigh parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Wigan and Leigh Canal, has a station on the L. & N.W.R., and for parish council purposes is now merged in the town of Leigh. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Leigh. Acreage, 1483; population, 8325. The ecclesiastical parish includes only a section of the township, and was constituted in 1854. Population, 4449. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester; net value, £300 with residence. The church was built in 1854, and is in the Perpendicular style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Leigh|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pennington (Leigh) from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: