Dinting, an ecclesiastical parish, and included in the borough of Glossop, Derbyshire. It stands on a rivulet of its own name, a tributary of the Etherow, with a station on the Manchester and Sheffield railway, adjacent to Cheshire, 1½ mile W of Glossop. It has a post and money order office under Manchester; telegraph office, Glossop. The parish was constituted in 1875. Population, 3277. A viaduct of the railway here consists of eight arches of stone and five with iron girders and stone pillars. It is 506 feet long and 136 feet high. Calico printing is the chief industry. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £298 with residence. The church is a fine Gothic building. There is also a Methodist New Connexion chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Glossop|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dinting from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: