Dethick and Lea, Derbyshire
Dethick and Lea, two villages, and a township, forming a chapelry in Belper union, Derbyshire, on the Cromford Canal, near Cromford railway station, and 2 miles SE of Matlock. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office at Lea Bridge under Derby. Acreage of township, 1820; population, 1058. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £110. The church is a chapel of ease in the parish of Ashover. There are three dissenting chapels, a cemetery, and lead-smelting works, and extensive spinning and hosiery manufactory at Lea. Lea Hurst was for many years the home of Miss Florence Nightingale. The chapelry also includes the village of Holloway.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dethick and Lea from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dethwick-Lea)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: