Newchurch in Pendle, Lancashire
Newchurch-in-Pendle, an ecclesiastical parish formed from Whalley parish, Lancashire, about 3 miles NW of Marsden railway station, and 6 NW of Burnley. It contains the townships of Roughlee Booth and Barley-with-Wheatley Booth and part of Goldshaw Booth, and its post town is Burnley; money order and telegraph office, Barrow-ford. Population, 797. The manors belong to the Duke of Buccleuch. The cotton manufacture is largely carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester; net value, £231 with residence. Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church is in the Early English style, was built in 1544 and rebuilt in 1740, and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a tower. There are three Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Burnley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newchurch in Pendle from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Newchurch-in-Pendle-Forest)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.
Online maps of Newchurch in Pendle are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: