Derwent or Darwent, Derbyshire
Derwent or Darwent, a township in Derwent-WoodIands ecclesiastical parish, Derbyshire, on the river Derwent, adjacent to Yorkshire, 7 miles NNE of Castleton, and 4¼ from Bamford railway station. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Sheffield. Acreage, 3527; population of the township, 191. The ecclesiastical parish is composed of the townships of Derwent and Hope Woodlands, and was formed in 1872. Population, 416. Derwent Hall, a fine old mansion, one of the seats of the Duke of Norfolk, occupies a fine site near the river Derwent, and contains a magnificent collection of old oak furniture. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £182 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire, who is also lord of the manor. The church was rebuilt in 1867-68, and is a well-proportioned building in the Geometric Decorated style. Amongst the church plate is a richly chased Elizabethan chalice, silver gilt, with cover-a rare specimen. There is also a Roman Catholic chapel and school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chapel-en-le-Frith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Derwent or Darwent from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Derwent)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: