Denby, a large village and parish in Belper union, Derbyshire, on the M.R., 3½ miles ESE of Belper. There is a station, with telegraph, on the railway, and a post office under Derby; money order office, Kilburn. Acreage, 2437; population, 1533. There are extensive collieries and brick and tile works, and a large pottery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £180. The church is ancient but good, has a tower and spire, and contains some interesting monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school with £54 a year; the school was enlarged a second time in 1885. Flamsteed the astronomer was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Denby St. Mary
|Morleston and Litchurch
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Denby 1557-1837, Derbyshire, is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Denby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Denby (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: