Glasson, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Lancashire. The village lies on the river Lune, 3 miles NW of Galgate railway station, and 5 SSW of Lancaster. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office at Glasson Dock, under Lancaster. There is a dock 2 acres in extent, communicating with the river Lune, and also a freshwater basin covering 12 acres, used as a timber pond. They are connected with the Lancaster Canal by a short branch which joins it at Gal-gate; a railway 5 miles in length runs from Lancaster to these docks. The parish comprises the township of Thurn-ham, and parts of the townships of Ashton-cum-Stodday and Cockersand Abbey, and was constituted in 1841. Population, 829. The manor belongs to the Fitzgerald family. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester; gross yearly value, s£90 with residence. Patrons, trustees. The church is a plain modern building, and there is an endowed school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Lonsdale south of the Sands|
|Poor Law union||Lancaster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Glasson from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.
Online maps of Glasson are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: