Cubley, a parish in Derbyshire, on an affluent of the river Dove, 5 miles from Sudbury station on the North Staffordshire railway, and 6 S of Ashborne. It has a post office under Derby; money order and telegraph office, Sudbury. The parish contains the villages of Great and Little Cubley. Acreage, 2388; population, 285. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell, united with Marston-Montgomery; joint value, £400 with residence. The church is partly Norman and good, and has a lofty tower which was restored in 1874. The church was reseated in 1885. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Cubley St. Andrew
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cubley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cubley (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: