UK Genealogy Archives logo

Coton in the Elms, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Coton-in-the-Elms, an ecclesiastical parish in Lullington parish, Derbyshire, 5 miles SW of Burton-upon-Trent. It has a post and money order office under Burton-on-Trent; telegraph office, Gresley railway station. Acreage, 1192; population, 487. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £160 with residence. The church is a building in the Gothic style, erected in 1846, and has a western tower with spire. There is also a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Civil parishLullington 
HundredRepton and Gresley 
Poor Law unionBurton-upon-Trent 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Coton in the Elms from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Coton in the Elms are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online:

DistrictSouth Derbyshire
CountyDerbyshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtDE12
Post TownSwadlincote