Codnor Park, Derbyshire
Codnor Park, formerly an extra-parochial tract, now a township in the ecclesiastical parish of Ironville, Derbyshire, on the Erewash and Cromford Canals and the M.R., 10 miles SW of Mansfield. It has a station on the railway. Post town, Alfreton; money order and telegraph office, Ironville. Acreage, 1458; population, 1077. Golden Valley is partly in this township, and has a school-church served by the clergy of Ironville. A castle here, now a ruin, belonged for ages to the Greys of Codnor, and passed to the Zouches and others, and is now the property of the Butterley Company, who are the principal landowners. There are coal mines and extensive ironworks. There are also a temperance hall, an institute, concert hall, and baths.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Codnor Park are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: