UK Genealogy Archives logo

Capernwray, Lancashire

Historical Description

Capernwray, a hamlet in Over-Kellet township, Bolton-le-Sands parish, Lancashire, 3½ miles S of Burton-in-Kendal. The nearest station is Hest Bank on the L. & N.W.R. Capernwray Hall is the seat of the Martons.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLancashire 
Civil parishBolton le Sands 
HundredLonsdale south of the Sands 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Capernwray from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Capernwray are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online:

DistrictLancaster
CountyLancashire
RegionNorth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtLA6
Post TownCarnforth