Clifton with Compton, Derbyshire
Clifton-with-Compton, a township in Ashbourne, Derbyshire, near the river Dove. Clifton is an ecclesiastical parish 1 mile SW of Ashbourne, with a station on the North Staffordshire railway. Post town, Ashboume. Acreage of township, 1104; population, 1302; of ecclesiastical parish, 625. Clifton Hall and Clifton House are comfortable residences, and there are other good houses. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £290 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Ashbourne. The church was built in 1845, and enlarged in 1869 by the addition of a chancel. There are also Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clifton with Compton from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: