Claycross or Claylane, Derbyshire
Claycross or Claylane, a township and a chapelry in North Wingfield parish, Derbyshire. The township lies on the M.R., 4¼ miles S of Chesterfield, and has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chesterfield, both of the name of Claycross. Acreage, 1326; population, 7143. The chapelry was constituted in 1852, and is more extensive than the township. Population, 8583. There are extensive collieries and ironworks, an institute, and a public hall, built at a cost of £4000. The living is a vicarage with Handley and Danesmoor annexed½ in the diocese of Southwell; joint net value, £286 with residence. Patron, the Rector of North Wingfield. The church was built in 1851, and is in the Early English style. There are four Methodist, a Roman Catholic, and Baptist chapels.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: