Church Broughton, Derbyshire
Church-Broughton, a village and parish in Derbyshire, 3 miles from Tutbury station on the North Staffordshire railway, and 10 W by S of Derby. The parish includes the hamlets of Sapperton and Harehill, and has a post and money order office of the name of Church Broughton under Derby; telegraph office, Foston. Acreage, 2216; population of the civil parish, 465; of the ecclesiastical, 537. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £220 with residence. The church is ancient, and was thoroughly restored in 1885-86. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed school with £30 a year, and some charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Church Broughton St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Burton-Upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Church Broughton 1538-1812, Derbyshire is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Church Broughton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Broughton, Church (St. Michael))
- Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1899
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Church Broughton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: