Chisworth, a township in Glossop parish, Derbyshire, 1 mile from Mottram station on the M.S. & L.R., and 3¼ mile.s SW of Glossop, which is the post town. Area, with Lud-worth, 2511 acres; population, 2240. There are cotton mills and collieries, and a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Glossop|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chisworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chisworth)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Chisworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: