UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

South Norwood, Surrey

Historical Description

Norwood, South (formerly known as Norwood St Marias), an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1859, is included in the parliamentary and county borough of Croydon. It is 9 miles from London, and Croydon Junction station is in the parish. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 10,582. The living is a vicarage; net value, £600, in the gift of the Vicar of All Saints, Norwood. Pottery and red earthenware are made. The Church of St Mark's, built in 1852, has been enlarged and improved. It is an edifice of Kentish rag in the Early Decorated style. In 1894 the church of the Holy Innocents was erected as a chapel of ease. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels, a Jews' convalescent home, public baths, and a branch of the Croydon Free Library. See CROYDON.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of South Norwood are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictCroydon
CountyGreater London
RegionLondon
CountryEngland
Postal districtSE25
Post TownLondon

Advertisement

Advertisement