Chelmorton, a township and ecclesiastical parish in Derbyshire, near the Buxton railway, 4 miles ESE of Buxton, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Buxton. The parish includes the township and manor of Flagg. Acreage of township, 2028; population, 269; of ecclesiastical parish, 445. A barrow 240 feet in circuit was opened here in 1782. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Bakewell. The church is old, with traces of Saxon and Norman work, and has a fine spire, and was restored and reopened in 1874. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bakewell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chelmorton from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Chelmorton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: