Chellaston, a parish in Derbyshire, adjacent to the Derby and Melbourne railway, 4 miles SSE of Derby. It has a post and money order office under Derby; telegraph office, Derby, and a station on a branch of the M.R. Acreage, 851; population, 497. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the alabaster quarries and gypsum mines. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £120. Patron, the Bishop of Southwell. The church is Later English, was mainly rebuilt in 1842 and restored in 1875, and has a fine tower. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chellaston St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Chellaston 1570-1812, Derbyshire is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chellaston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chellaston (St. Peter))
- Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1899
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Chellaston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: