Paddock Wood, Kent
Historical Description
Paddock Wood, a village and a chapelry in the Weald of Kent. The village is 34 miles from London, and forms an important junction on the S.E.R. The chapelry contains parts of the parishes of Brenchley, Yalding, and Nettlestead, including four hamlets, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Population, 1759. For parish council purposes it is included in the parish of Brenchley. It has a fortnightly stock market, is the centre of the hop-growing industry, and fruit growing and dairy produce are extensively carried on. There are also some brickfields in the district The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury; gross value, £230 with residence. The church, a building of stone in the Early English style, consists of nave, chancel, and a small tower; it has been enlarged and restored. There is a mission-room at one end of the district.
Maps
Online maps of Paddock Wood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- OpenStreetMap.
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Kent newspapers online:
- Kent & Sussex Courier
- Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald
- Dover Express
- Kentish Gazette
- Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald
- Kentish Chronicle
- Maidstone Telegraph
Visitations Heraldic
The Visitation of Kent, 1619 is available on the Heraldry page, as is also The Visitation of Kent, 1663-68.
