Shefford Hardwick, Bedfordshire
Shefford Hardwick, formerly an extra-parochial tract, now a parish in Beds, half a mile from Shefford station on the Bedford and Hitchin brarch of the M.R. It consists chiefly of a single farm, has an area of 360 acres, and a population of 65. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Shefford.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Shefford Hardwick was in Biggleswade Registration District from 1837 to 1933
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shefford Hardwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shefford-Hardwicks)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Bedfordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Shefford Hardwick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Bedfordshire papers online:
- Bedfordshire Times and Independent
- Biggleswade Chronicle
- Luton Times and Advertiser
- Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle
Shefford Hardwick was in Biggleswade Poor Law Union. For further detailed history of the Biggleswade Union see Peter Higginbotham's excellent resource: Biggleswade Poor Law Union and Workhouse.
A full transcript of the Visitations of Bedfordshire 1566, 1582, and 1634 is available online.