Castleton, a village, a township, and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands in a deep hollow, at the foot of Mam-Tor Mountain, 7 miles from Chapel-en-le-Frith station on the M.R. and L. & N.W.R., and 8 from Millers Dale on the M.R. Hope station on the Dore and Chinley branch of the M.R. is only 2½ miles distant. It has a post and money order office under Sheffield; telegraph office, Buxton. Acreage,2911; population, 541. A steep and commanding eminence near here, upwards of 200 feet high, is crowned by the ruined castle of " Peveril of the Peak." This is supposed by some to have been preceded by a Saxon fort; by others, to have been built originally by William Peveril, a son of the Conqueror. It passed from the Peverils in the time of Henry II.; was held by the Earl of Montaigne, afterwards King John; was given, in the time of Edward II., to the Earl of Wan-en; passed afterwards to John of Gaunt; and has belonged, since his time, to the duchy of Lancaster. The keep and portions of the walls still stand; they consist of massive masonry, 9 feet thick; and they present a most interesting specimen of the features of Norman architecture. The Peak Cavern, Blue John Cavern, and Speedwell Cavern, and all the other grand attractions of the High Peak region are visited by many travellers. The village has several hotels, a church, a Wesleyan chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed school, and an excellent library. The church is partly Early English, neat, and in good repair; and has three interesting monuments to the mineralogist Mawe, the Rev. E. Bagshaw, and Micha Hall. The building was much improved in 1891. There is a peal of eight bells. The township includes the village, and extends over neighbouring mountains. Lead ore, fluor spar, mountain limestone, and other useful minerals abound. The working of lead mines long employed a large portion of the inhabitants, but of late years has been unproductive. The manor belongs to the duchy of Lancaster, and is leased by the Duke of Devonshire. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; value, £260. Patron, the Bishop of Southwell.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Castleton St. Edmund|
|Poor Law union||Chapel-en-le-Frith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Castleton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Castleton (St. Edmund))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Castleton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: