Castle Gresley, Derbyshire
Castle-Gresley, a township in Church-Gresley parish, Derbyshire, 4½ miles SE by E of Burton-upon-Trent, and½ mile from Gresley station on the M.R. There is a large brewery here, also a post and money order office under Burton-upon-Trent; telegraph office, Gresley (R.S.) The area is 614 acres; population, 864.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Church Gresley|
|Hundred||Repton and Gresley|
|Poor Law union||Burton-upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Castle Gresley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Gresley, Castle)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Castle Gresley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: