UK Genealogy Archives logo

Calke or Caulk, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Calke or Caulk, a village, a township, and a parish in Derbyshire, on the SE verge of the county, 4 miles N of Ashby-de-la-Zouch railway station. Post town, Ticknally under Derby; money order and telegraph office, Melbourne. Acreage of township, 682; population, 57. An Augustinian priory was founded here in 1160 by the Countess of Chester. A mansion on the site of the priory, and called Caike Abbey, was erected in the early part of the 18th century by Sir John Harpur, and this is now the seat of the Crewe family, who are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The living is a donative in the diocese of Southwell. The church was rebuilt in 1826, is a handsome Gothic edifice, with a square-tower, and contains a fine monument to the Harpurs.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Ecclesiastical parishCaulk St. Giles 
HundredRepton 
Poor Law unionAshby-de-la-Zouch 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Calke or Caulk from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Calke or Caulk are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: