Bretby, a chapelry and a township in Repton parish, Derbyshire, 4 miles from Burton-upon-Trent railway station, and about 10½ SE from Derby. There is a post and money order office under Burton-upon-Trent; telegraph office, Swadlincote. Acreage of the township, 1868; population, 377; of the ecclesiastical district, 367. The living is a donative chapelry in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Carnarvon. The church was rebuilt in 1878 by Anne Elizabeth, Countess of Chesterfield, in memory of her husband and son, the sixth and seventh Earls of Chesterfield, and her daughter, Evelyn, Countess of Carnarvon. It seats 130 persons, and has a good organ, a stained-glass window, and a carillon of 5 bells. Bretby Hall, standing in a lovely park of 400 acres, is a magnificent stone mansion built in 1865 by the fifth Earl of Chesterfield. The present owner is the Earl of Carnarvon.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Bretby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: