Breaston, a township forming with Risley an ecclesiastical parish in the union of Shardlow, Derbyshire, on the Derby Canal and the M.R., half a mile from Draycott station, and 8 miles ESE of Derby, under which it has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Draycott. Area of township, 1493 acres; population, 882; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1130. The living is a rectory united with that of Risley in the diocese of Southwell; joint net value, £330. Patron, the Bishop of Southwell. The church was restored in 1871, and there are two Methodist chapels, an endowed school at Risley, dating from 1583, free to cliildren of the seven neighbouring parishes.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Breaston 1719-1810, Derbyshire is available to browse online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Breaston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Breaston)
- Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1899
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Breaston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: