Brassington, a township, a village, and a parish in Derbyshire. The township lies 4 miles W by N of Wirksworth station on the M.R., and has a post office under Derby; money order office, Hognaston; telegraph office, Wirksworth. Acreage, 4222; population, 667. There are stone quarries in the neighbourhood, and paint and colours are manufactured. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £116 with residence. The church is partly Norman, and was repaired in 1880. There are three dissenting chapels, and several charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brassington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brassington)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Brassington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: