Brampton, a township, a village, and a parish in Derbyshire, 3½ miles W by N of Chesterfield railway station. The township includes the hamlets of Wadshelf, Pratt Hall, and Cutthorpe, where there is a post and money order office; telegraph office, New Brampton. Acreage, 8156; population of the civil parish, 6895; of the ecclesiastical, St Peter and St Paul, 1074. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor. The inhabitants are mostly engaged in agriculture and stone quarrying. The living of St Peter and St Paul is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £266 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Southwell. The parish church, which was restored in 1868, retains some traces of the original building, of mixed Norman and Early English styles. There is a mission room (C. E.) at Wadshelf, and Wesleyan chapels at Hollins, Wadshelf, Pratt Hall, and Cutthorpe. The charities amount to about £230.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Brampton St. Peter
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1658.
Church of England
SS. Peter and Paul (parish church)
The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an embattled edifice, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a tower with octagonal broach spire, containing 5 bells with inscriptions, a sanctus bell in a bell-cot over the eastern gable of the nave, and a new clock, provided in April, 1898, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria: of the church existing here prior to 1253 there is at least one relic in the Norman doorway of the south porch, which on the inside becomes Early English, the two styles being intermixed: the south porch, with the tower and spire, and some buttresses of the chancel are Decorated: the exterior walls exhibit various singular stone figures of Early English date, including effigies under canopies of SS. Peter and Paul: the north aisle retains a piscina with a trefoiled head: the chancel has a flat Perpendicular roof, the east window and two others on the south being of the same period: in the wall at the west end of the nave is a stone slab with inscription, in Lombardic characters, to Matilda le Caus, probably the heiress of that barony, who died in 1224: through a quatrefoil opening at its upper end appear the head and shoulders of a female in bas-relief, and a narrow oblong opening at the bottom discloses the feet and lower part of the drapery: there are monuments of the 17th and 18th centuries to the Clarkes of Somersall, and beneath one of these a small brass to Nicholas Clarke of Brampton, ob. 1589: an eagle lectern of carved oak and a brass font ewer were presented in 1898 by the Barnes family: the church was restored in 1868 at a cost of £700, when the tower arch was opened, the aisle arches repaired, and tracery restored to the clerestory windows, and underwent further restoration in 1889-91, at a cost of £1,850: there are 330 sittings. In the churchyard, near the priest's door, lies an Early English sepulchral slab, sculptured with foliage. A memorial window was erected in 1903, by his family, to Mr. Alfred Barnes, for many years churchwarden.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brampton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brampton (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Brampton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: