Brailsford, a village and a parish in Derbyshire. The parish lies on an affluent of the river Dove, 6 miles W of Duffield railway station, and on the old London Road, 7 NW of Derby, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Derby. Acreage, 4366; population of the civil parish, 639; of the ecclesiastical, 612. This was formerly a Roman settlement. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £553 with residence. Patron, Earl Ferrers. The church is good, and there are two Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Brailsford All Saints
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Brailsford 1653-1812, Derbyshire is available to browse online.
The register of All Saints dates from the year 1647: the early registers are in an excellent state of preservation, and, contrary to general experience, were kept with unusual care and accuracy during the Commonwealth period.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints, a building of stone in the Norman style, stands by itself a short distance from the village, and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch, and a lofty embattled tower at the west end containing a fine peal of 5 bells, dating from 1717 to 1816: an arcade of three circular arches divides the south aisle from the nave, but the piers are Decorated: at the west end of the aisle is a blocked circular arch with a massive Norman pillar, crowned by a spreading capital ornarnented with tooth-mouldings, a smaller pillar supporting the, north side of the chancel arch: the chancel is a good specimen of the Decorated work prevailing between 1300 and 1320, and is enriched with six stained windows, the east window being the gift of Henry and Walter Bowden esqrs.: the tower is a late but well-built example of the Perpendicular style, c. 1500, and the porch dates generally from 1629, the inner door with its massive iron work and lock being of the 16th century: the font, an octagon, is a Perpendicular work, and bears the Tudor rose: there are three sedilia and a piscina with credence shelf, and in the opposite wall an almery: at the west end of the aisle are ten massive oaken benches of admirable construction, about 400 years old, and in the north wall of the chancel a sepulchral recess, used probably as an Easter sepulchre: the aisle has also an early incised slab of the 12th century: on the south side of the church are the remains of the old churchyard cross consisting of one step only and a base, and an ancient yew tree: the church was partially restored in 1862, when a vestry was added; and the restoration was completed in 1886, when the gallery was removed and the church reseated, the cost being £1,040: the silver communion plate is dated 1732: there are now 250 sittings.
The Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1845 and has seating for 120.
The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1821 and has seating for 200.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brailsford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brailsford (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1899
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Brailsford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: