Bradwell, a township and a parish in Derbyshire, under the Peak, 1 mile from Brough station on the M.R., and 2 miles SE of Castleton. There is a post and money order office under Sheffield; telegraph office, Hope. Acreage of township, 2174; population, 837. Most of the inhabitants were originally employed in the lead mines of the district, but since the mines have ceased working, agriculture and quarrying have formed the township's principal employment. There are stone works in the rocks of Bradwell Dale. Near the village is Bagshaw Cavern, which contains numerous chambers, with some remarkable stalactites. Traces of a Roman camp occur at Brough Castle, and Roman tiles, coins, and other relics have been found there. The parish includes the townships of Abney, Great and Little Hucklow, Grindlow, and Wardlow, and the lordship of Hazlebadge. Population, 1343. The township has a small church in the Perpendicular style, built in 1868, and Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Unitarian chapels. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £220 with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bakewell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of St. Barnabas, for baptisms dates from 1868; burials, 1869; and marriages, 1875.
Church of England
St. Barnabas (parish church)
The church of St. Barnabas, erected in 1868, is a small building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry, organ chamber, a small turret, at the junction of chancel and nave, containing one bell, and an embattled tower, in the Decorated style, at the south-west angle of the church, erected in 1889, at a cost of £1,004, and containing one bell and a clock, placed by the executors of the late E. M. Wass esq.: in 1895 the church was reseated throughout, and now affords 220 sittings.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
The Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1845, and enlarged in 1878, has 500 sittings. There is an attached cemetery.
The Wesleyan chapel, built in 1807 and restored in 1891, seats 700 persons. There is an attached cemetery.
The Unitarian chapel, built in 1798, has sittings for 70 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bradwell from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Bradwell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cAbney