Boylstone, a parish in Derbyshire, on an affluent of the river Dove, 4 miles from Sudbury railway station, and 7 S of Ashborne. Post town, Sudbury, under Derby. Acreage, 1361; population, 218. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £277 with residence. The church is very good. There are also Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The register dates from the year 1734.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of stone, erected in 1700, and consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and a small western tower containing a clock and one bell: in the church is a brass to Roger Bickerstaff, 20 years rector of the parish: the east window is a memorial to Harriott, wife of the Rev. Tansley Hall M.A. late rector (1861-93), she died 29 April, 1883; in 1888 the chancel was restored and paved with tiles; and in 1895 memorial windows were placed in the chancel by the then rector to the Rev. Tansley Hall M.A. late rector, d. 20 Jan. 1893; and to Robert Fyson and Maria his wife, parents of the then rector: there are 200 sittings.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: