Boulton, a township which, united with that of Alvaston, was constituted in 1884 a civil parish in Derbyshire, on the Derby Canal, 3 miles SE of Derby, which is the post town and nearest railway station. Area of the civil parish, 2154 acres; population, 3116; of the ecclesiastical parish of Boulton, 972. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £171 with residence. The church is partly Norman, and was restored in 1871 and in 1887. The Primitive Methodist New Connexion have a chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Boulton 1756-1812, Derbyshire is available to browse online.
The register for both Alvaston and Boulton includes baptisms and burials 1614-1809, and marriages 1614-1812.
Church of England
Blessed Virgin Mary (parish church)
The church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, formerly a chantry chapel, is a small building of local stone, originally Norman, with later additions in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: various portions of the old Norman church still remain, the south doorway being of this date; the porch is Decorated work of the 14th century: the pulpit is constructed from slabs of alabaster taken up from the floor of the chancel in 1871, and is inlaid with marble: some very curious old encaustic tiles, found during the restoration in 1840, now form part of the pavement around it: there is a plain circular font, supposed to be original: an ancient stoup is preserved in the porch: the church was restored in 1840 and the nave extended 12 feet, at a cost of £480, and again restored in 1871 at a cost of £1,100; in 1887 an organ chamber was added at a cost of £150, and a new arch was built in the nave at a cost of £50: the organ, provided in 1893, cost £220: in 1907 a new vestry was erected and the church enlarged at a cost of £1,200: there are 340 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Boulton from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Boulton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: