Kirk Onchan or Conchan, Isle of Man
Kirk Onchan or Conchan, a village and a parish in the E of the Isle of Man. The village stands near Bank's How, 2½ miles NE of Douglas, took its name either from St Con-aghan, who was Bishop of Man in 540, or from St Conanus, who was Bishop in 600, is beautifully situated, and has a post office (S.O.) The civil parish contains also the greater part of the town of Douglas, and extends thence on the coast to Groudle, and northward to the mountain Bein-y-Phot. Acreage of the civil parish, 7880; population, 20, 484; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1780. Bank's How projects between Douglas Bay and Groudle, and has an altitude of 394 feet. Bein-y-Phot, on the N boundary, has an altitude of 1772 feet, and Cairn Gharjoil, on the NE boundary, has an altitude of 1461 feet. Castle Mona and Derby Castle are between Douglas and the village, and many delightful walks and drives are in the neighbourhood of Douglas. The Industrial Home for Orphan and Destitute Children is in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Sodor and Man; net value, £160 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church stands near the village, was intended to be Early English but really shows no distinctive style, has a tower and spire, and looks well at a distance. An ancient Scandinavian cross, deeply carved with knot-work, is in the churchyard on the N side of the church, and five others stand in the W porch, where they have been placed to protect them from the weather.