Beighton, a village and a parish in Derbyshire. The parish lies on the river Rother, and on the M.S. & L.R., 4 miles N of Eckington; and comprises, besides the charmingly situated village of its own name, the hamlets of Birley, Hackenthorpe, Sothal, and Waterthorpe. It has a station on the railway and a post office under Rotherham. Acreage, 3136; population, 2852. Medicinal waters which have been long in repute are at Birley, and scythes, sickles, and reaping hooks are manufactured at Hackenthorpe. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £213. Patron, Earl Manvers. The church was partly restored, partly rebuilt, in 1869. A very handsome room, built by the Earl of Manvers, which serves as a Sunday school and a parish room, was opened in 1893. There are Wesleyan and Methodist chapels, and a new Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1890.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Beighton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Rotherham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Beighton 1653-1837, Derbyshire, is available to browse online.
The parish registers date from the year 1653, and are in good condition.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower containing 6 bells: the church was restored in 1868: there are several stained windows and sittings for 310 persons.
The Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1890.
United Methodist Chapel
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
The new Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1905, at a cost of £2,000.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Beighton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Beighton (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1899
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: