St Nicholas Castlehold, or St Nicholas in the Castle, Isle of Wight
Nicholas Castlehold, St, or St Nicholas-in-the Castle, a parish in the Isle of Wight, partly within Newport borough. Post town, Newport. Acreage, 536; population, 220. The civil parish has, by an order of the Local Government Board under the Parish Councils Act, ceased to exist, the urban portion having been transferred to Newport, and the rural portion partly to Northwood and partly to Carisbrooke. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £24. Patron, the Governor of Carisbrooke Castle. The old church was built prior to the Norman Conquest, belonged to the abbey of Quarr, was destroyed and rebuilt in 1738, was dismantled in 1856, and is now a ruin.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.