Parkhurst, Isle of Wight
Parkhurst, a quondam extra-parochial tract in Carisbrooke parish, Isle of Wight, 1½ mile NW by N of Newport. It was known at Domesday as the King's Park, was long a royal hunting-ground, and comprised about 3000 acres, but is now very much curtailed. There are some extensive barracks and a convict prison.
Online maps of Parkhurst are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.