North Court, Isle of Wight
North Court, a seat in Shorwell parish, Isle of Wight, adjacent to Shorwell village, 4¼ miles SSW of Newport. It was founded in the latter part of the time of Elizabeth by Sir John Leigh; it passed to the Bulls, the Bennetts, and the Gordons; it is a good specimen-the only one in fair preservation-of the picturesque gabled mansions which were numerously erected in the island in the times of Elizabeth and James I., and it stands amid beautiful and extensive grounds.
Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5
Online maps of North Court are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)