Baslow, a village and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands on the river Derwent, in the vicinity of Chatsworth, 3 miles from Hassop station on the M.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chesterfield, and several good hotels, and it forms a pleasant centre to tourists for visiting Chatsworth and some of the most picturesque parts of the Peak district. The parish includes the hamlet of Bubnell, and is governed by a local board. Acreage, 5635; population, 864. The Duke of Devonshire and the Duke of Rutland are the principal landowners. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £326. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church stands in the village, and is neat and commodious. The churchyard contains some interesting slabs and a stone coffin. There are two dissenting chapels, and considerable charities, and also small gasworks and a large hydropathic establishment.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register, now in a dilapidated condition, dates from 1659, and contains numerous irrelevant interpolations.
Church of England
St. Anne (parish church)
The church of St. Anne, charmingly situated on the eastern bank of the river Derwent, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles with arcades of four arches, south porch, and a low tower at the northwest angle with octagonal broach spire and containing a clock and 6 bells, the 3rd and 5th mediaeval, and the others dated respectively 1839, 1745, 1620, 1754: there are five stained windows, four being memorials: the oldest existing portion is the tower and spire, erected at the close of the 13th century: the nave may be attributed to the 14th century, and its west window is a good specimen of the Geometric period: the heavy battlements of the porch, nave and aisles are Early Perpendicular, and the nave has a flat Perpendicular roof: the rood loft, sedilia, some stained glass, and a memorial to Robert Eyre, existing about 1730, have disappeared: in the north wall of the aisle is an iron plate in an oaken frame, with an inscription to Thomas Marple, 1742: and there are some small mural brasses to the names of Oddy and Grundy (1753-1790). The chancel has a mural monument to the Rev. John Barker M.A. for 30 years incumbent of Baslow (1824), and his eldest son, the Rev. Anthony Auriol Barker M.A. who succeeded his father, and held the living for the same length of time; another to the Rev. J. Stockdale M.A. 48 years vicar, who died Oct. 24, 1907, and to Mrs. Stockdale, who died at Baslow in April, 1892, and one to the Right Rev. Frederick Barker D.D. some time vicar of Baslow, and Lord Bishop of Sydney and Metropolitan of Australia (1854-84), whose remains were interred in the churchyard: he was born at Baslow, March 17th, 1808, died at San Remo, April 6th, 1884: built into the west wall of the porch is a coffin slab of the 13th century bearing a floriated cross: in the vestry is preserved the veritable whip of the last church "dog-whipper:" there are 350 sittings: the church was restored and enlarged in 1853, chiefly at the expense of the Dukes of Rutland and Devonshire: a new chancel and vestry were built in 1911, at a cost of about £1,000, to commemorate the coronation of H.M. King George V.; at the same time a chancel screen and clergy stalls were added by Mrs. F. Stanton in memory of her husband: the churchyard, enlarged in 1876 by the inclosure of about a quarter of an acre, is very picturesque, owing to a fine row of stately elms on the side adjoining the river, with old yews and trees here and there, and contains some ancient stone coffins and a few curious slabs of stone: south of the churchyard remain the basement steps of an old cross, now supporting a modern pedestal and shaft, with a sundial.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Baslow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Baslow)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Baslow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: