Barton Blount, Derbyshire
Barton-Blount, a village, and a parish in Derbyshire, on a tributary of the river Dove, 4 miles NW of Tutbury railway station, and 10 W of Derby. Post town, Church-Broughton under Derby. Acreage, 1201; population, 76. Barton Hall is the seat of the Bradshaw family, who are lords of the manor and sole landowners. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £80. The church is small.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Burton-upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1558 for all entries.
Church of England
St. Chad (parish church)
The church of St. Chad is a very small but ancient building of stone, mantled with ivy and consisting of chancel and nave: there are six stained windows in memory of the Bradshaw family: and the church affords 60 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barton Blount from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barton-Blount)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Barton Blount are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: