Barrow upon Trent, Derbyshire
Barrow-upon-Trent, a township and a parish in Derbyshire. The township lies on the river Trent, adjacent to the Grand Trunk Canal, 2½ miles W of Chellaston station, and 6 S of Derby, under which it has a post office. Acreage, 1203; population of the civil parish, 332; of the ecclesiastical, 581. The parish of Barrow, with the townships of Sinfin and Arleston, is in Shardlow union; Twyford and Stenson form a distinct parish and township in Burton union. The parishes are quite distinct, but united for ecclesiastical purposes under one vicar. Twyford has an ancient church with Norman chancel arch. The living is a vicarage united with the perpetual curacy of Twyford, in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £110 with residence. The church is an ancient building in Early English style, and there is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barrow St. Wilfrid|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Barrow-on-Trent and Twyford 1657-1812, Derbyshire, is available to browse online.
The parish register dates from the year 1657.
Church of England
St. Wilfred (parish church)
The church of St. Wilfrid is a venerable edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, north porch and a western embattled tower, with pinnacles, containing 3 bells, dated 1613: in the church is an ancient monument, very much broken and defaced, bearing the recumbent effigy of a man with a dog at his feet, but without date or inscription: there is also a brass to Elizabeth, wife of Henry Milwarde, of Sinfin (1610), and to her husband (1615), erected by their youngest son, John, and in the chancel a monument to Richard Sale, dated 1661, and a memorial window to Richard Sale and his wife, and remains of a piscina niche: a new marble pulpit was erected in 1894 by the Sale family: there are 157 sittings.
The Congregational chapel here, built in 1841, has 140 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barrow upon Trent from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Barrow (St. Wilfrid))
- Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1899
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Barrow upon Trent are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: