Barlborough, an extensive village and a parish in Derbyshire, near the Chesterfield Canal, 2 miles E of Eckington railway station, and 8 NE of Chesterfield. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chesterfield. Population, 1900. Barlborough Hall, an edifice in the Elizabethan style, is the seat of the De Rodes family. There are extensive collieries, limekilns, and brick and tile works here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £646 with residence. The church is old, and of mixed architecture. An almshouse for six widows, founded in 1752, has £69, and there are other charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barlborough St. James|
|Poor Law union||Worksop|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The registers date from the year 1648, for all entries; these records are in good condition.
Church of England
St. James (parish church)
The church of St. James is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles and an embattled western tower with 8 pinnacles and containing a clock and 5 bells, two of which are of early date, with inscriptions in coarse Gothic characters; the latest was cast in 1725: the nave is separated from the aisles by an arcade of 4 semi-circular Norman arches on three piers: the chancel arch is Early English, as are also probably parts of the tower, the west front of which bears the arms of Goushill and Longford, but the battlements and pinnacles are Debased Perpendicular; in the chancel is a monument to Sir Richard Pipe, Lord Mayor of London, and patron of this church, ob. 19 Sept. 1587: the east window is a memorial to Miss Mary Alderson; in 1899 the south side of the nave was pulled down and a south aisle constructed; the interior was also entirely refitted, a new organ provided and a vestry built, at a cost of about £2,400; there are 400 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barlborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barlborough (St. James))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Barlborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: