Bordwood Forest, Isle of Wight
Bordwood Forest, an ancient forest in the eastern part of the Isle of Wight, on the S side of Main river, 1½ mile W of Sandown. It was given by Henry V. to Philippa, Duchess of York, and was long a noble hunting-ground, well stocked with deer and other game. The last " Lady" of the island, Isabella de Fortibus, had a hunting-seat in it on a knoll, which still retains the name of Queen's Bower. The best timber in the island was obtained from it, but now scarcely one large tree of it exists.
Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5