Atherfield, Isle of Wight
Atherfield, a tithing in Shorwell parish, Isle of Wight, on the S coast, 6½ miles SSW of Newport. Atherfield rocks here are subject to landslips, and then, after being washed by the waves, show very strikingly the juxtaposition of the lowermost of the greensand deposits with the uppermost of the Wealden.
Online maps of Atherfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.