UK Genealogy Archives logo

Bamford, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Bamford, a township and a parish, formed in 1860 from Hathersage parish, Derbyshire, on a head-stream of the river Derwent, in the Peak district, 4½ miles ENE of Castleton, and 10 from Chapel-en-le-Frith railway station. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Sheffield. Acreage, 1770; population, 317. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £155 with residence. The church was built in 1859, after designs by Mr Butterfield; is in the Decorated English style; consists of nave, north aisle, and chancel, with tower and spire 108 feet high; and has floor of encaustic tiles. There is a Methodist chapel and a cotton mill.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1869.

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Churches

Church of England

St. John the Baptist (parish church)

The church of St. John the Baptist, erected in 1860, is a building of stone, in the Late Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, vestry and a tower at the north-west angle, surmounted by a fine spire rising to a height of 108 feet, and containing 6 bells, dating from the erection of the church: the circular font of Derbyshire marble, inlaid with Italian marble, was presented by the late Thomas Eyre esq. of Moorseats, in 1860: all the windows are stained, one on the south side of the nave being the gift of Henry Cottingham M.A. sometime vicar of Hathersage; in the vestibule is a window commemorating the foundation of the church by William Cameron Moore, A.D. 1860, and displaying his arms: there are 170 sittings.

Methodist

Wesleyan Chapel

The Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1821 and rebuilt in 1889, has 100 sittings.

Roman Catholic

Our Lady of Sorrows

The Catholic chapel, dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows, seating 150 persons, has a school attached, built in 1882 by the Duke of Norfolk K.G.; the chapel is served from Derwent.


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Bamford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online:

DistrictHigh Peak
CountyDerbyshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtS33
Post TownHope Valley