Ashey, Isle of Wight
Ashey, an extensive ancient manor in the Isle of Wight, extending from the coast around Ryde southward to the hills which overhang the Main river. It belonged to the abbess of Wherwell, near Andover; was demised, in 1538, to Giles Worsley; and the northern part of it, on which Ryde stands, was sold to Anthony Dillington, and passed afterwards to the family of Player. Ashey Common, 2 miles S of Ryde, is now enclosed. Ashey Farm, a little farther S, was the site of a cell of the nunnery of Wherwell. Ashey Down, still further S, rises 424 feet above the level of the sea, and commands a splendid view from Southampton to Chichester. Ashey Seamark, on the summit of the down, is a triangular pyramid, erected in 1735 by the Trinity Board, and guides the navigation into St Helen's Eoad at Spithead. The Eyde waterworks, constructed in 1855, are at the foot of the down. There is a station at Ashey on the Isle of Wight Central Railway.
Online maps of Ashey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.